Pages

allthingsforsale.com Bento Products

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Today's Project: Recycling Crayons!

I have been wanting to do this project for awhile since seeing it on Pinterest, but after eyeing that tin of broken crayons for the 100th time this morning, I knew today was the day....WE ARE RECYCLING CRAYONS! I really dislike throwing away things they are still very much in use, so I was really happy to stumble upon this idea ^^

I dumped out the big tin of crayons on the the floor and separated the broken ones from the good ones and put them in this pretty little pile.



 At this point the kids were thinking I had gone crazy ...I kept getting that sideways puppy head tilt from them. I didn't tell them right away what our project was cause it's fun to keep them guessing for awhile. I then told them to pick a color and start peeling! They were more then happy to oblige and they spent the next hour or so REALLY super focused while peeling and separating the colors.


While they were peeling and sorting I preheated the oven to 275 degrees. Once they were done, I popped the muffin tin into the oven and set the timer for 10 minutes (as several sites suggested). I think it was probably about 15 minutes before they were all melted at this temp though. If you decide to make these, I would still set the timer for 10 but keep checking after that to see if everything is melted since all ovens are different. After I pulled them out I let the crayons set for 10 minutes & then put them in the freezer for 20 minutes. I was a little worried that they wouldn't come out since I had not sprayed or lined the pan, but it ended up being just fine....those crayons popped out like ice cubes! The kids were sooooo excited and wanted to use them right away even though they were still frozen :D 


We had soooooooo much fun with this project and I'm really looking fwd to doing it again in the future, maybe with some fun shaped pans next time! We may never have to buy another new crayon again ^^


Housewifed

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...