Pages

allthingsforsale.com Bento Products

Friday, June 1, 2012

DIY Site Word Bingo

Everyday I have scheduled learning activities I do with the twinkies as well as a craft activity. I am always looking for new activities so they don't get bored but we have a couple that we repeat throughout the week so they are able to remember them...one of those is Site Word Bingo! I saw this idea on Pinterest of course but at the time we could not find our printer cord (the movers packed the cords in one box & the printer in another o.O) so I had to make mine by hand. I will probably make a new one with some of the many great printables soon, but for now, the homemade one is working for us!




Site Words (also known as Dolch) are the most used words in the English language, so learning them early on is pretty important to getting a jump start on their elementary education. I happened to have a box of flash cards we got at Barnes & Noble with site words included, so I took the most commonly used words and wrote them on a piece of construction paper in Bingo format. I also kept out the flash cards with the words I chose for the Bingo board to put in the game kit so I wouldn't have to hunt for them in the stack every time. As with most young children, it's hard to keep a piece of paper wrinkle or tear free so I glued the Bingo card onto some pieces of cardboard that we had going out for recycling after cutting them to fit the size of the game card. I also happen to have some beads on hand so I included them into the Bingo kit to use as the game "chips". Mine are at an age where they won't put small objects in their mouths, so I don't recommend using beads like ours for smaller children. For younger kids I would recommend laminating your Bingo card instead of gluing onto cardboard and using a dry erase marker to cross off their words.


You can easily make your own Site Word Bingo kit from things you have around the house, no need to go out and buy anything special unless you are missing something! Some of things you will need:

  • Construction Paper
  • Cardboard
  • Pencil (to draft)
  • Marker
  • Ruler (to get those lines straight!)
  • Scissors
  • Glue
  • Bingo Chips or Beads (i used craft beads)


If you don't already have site word flash cards you can easily find a list online or free printables. Here are some free site word printable flash cards that I love >> http://printable.tipjunkie.com/site-word-flash-cards
You can also find a free site words app for your ipod/phone here: 

If you want to skip the DIY and just print out some gamecards, you can find some HERE!






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...